Friday, December 14, 2007

The Canterbury Tales - The Wife of Bath: Prologue

When discussing the Wife of Bath, it’s interesting to think that she may very well have been one of the first “feminists” of her time. She would have been what the church considered a “wicked” woman, and this is something that she was quite proud of. She flaunts the fact that she has had several husbands, as well as the fact that she would use sex as a means to get money from them. Not to mention that this was done in a time that one was to be married to – and meet in the afterlife – only one man.

I shal saye sooth: tho housbondes that I hadde,
As three of hem were goode, and two were bade.
The three men were goode, and riche, and olde;
Unnethe mighte they the statut holde
In which they were bounden unto me –
Yet woot wel what I mene of this, pardee.
As help me God, I laughe whan I thinke
How pitously anight I made hem swinke (261)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you where discussing the connection between the reference of fairies I'm the wife of baths tale to her story what would it be?

Anonymous said...

And based on this tale, what do women want?